Every second counts, plan two ways out
In a fire, seconds count – they can mean the difference between escaping safely from a fire or lives ending in tragedy. That’s why this year’s Fire Prevention Week theme: “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!” is so important. It reinforces why everyone needs to have an escape plan. Here are some key messages shared by the Lake Oswego Fire Department:
- Draw a map of your home, marking two exits from each room and paths outside.
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year – once at night and once during the day.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- Ensure your home’s street number is easily visible for the fire department.
- Close doors behind you as you leave to slow the spread of smoke, heat and fire.
- Once outside, stay outside. Never go back inside a burning building.